Trump to skip son’s Bahamas wedding amid Iran crisis, says ‘White House duties come first’


Trump to skip son's Bahamas wedding amid Iran crisis, says 'White House duties come first'

US President Donald Trump said that he will not attend the wedding celebrations of his son, Donald Trump Jr and Bettina Anderson in the Bahamas, citing the escalating Iran conflict and other international developments as the reason for remaining at the White House.In a post on Truth Social, Trump confirmed he would miss the event despite wanting to be present for the family occasion.“While I very much wanted to be with my son, Don Jr, and the newest member of the Trump Family, his soon-to-be wife, Bettina, circumstances pertaining to Government, and my love for the United States of America, do not allow me to do so. I feel it is important for me to remain in Washington, DC, at the White House during this important period of time. Congratulations to Don and Bettina!” he wrote.

.

.

The announcement comes amid heightened tensions surrounding possible US military action against Iran. Trump had told reporters at the White House on Thursday that his son’s wedding was “not good timing” because of “a thing called Iran and other things”.According to Politico, Trump was expected to return to Washington on Friday evening after delivering a speech in New York. He had initially planned to spend the weekend at his golf club in New Jersey before returning to the White House on Sunday.Politico also reported that Trump had considered launching fresh strikes on Iran earlier this week, but postponed the move after appeals from Middle Eastern allies to allow negotiations to continue. Speaking to reporters on Tuesday, Trump said another strike could come “maybe Friday or Saturday” or “early next week”.Apart from Iran, Politico reported that discussions within Washington have increasingly focused on the possibility of military strikes against Cuba.Donald Trump Jr, 48, and Palm Beach socialite Bettina Anderson, 39, have already been legally married, according to documents obtained by Page Six. The couple filed their marriage certificate in Palm Beach, Florida, on Thursday, ahead of their planned wedding celebration on a private island in the Bahamas. The filing reportedly showed that Trump family real estate attorney Brad McPherson officiated the ceremony.The Bahamas event is expected to be a small and private gathering attended by close family and friends.Speaking about the possibility of attending the celebrations, Trump told reporters on Thursday, “If I do attend, I get killed. If I don’t attend, I get killed.”The couple had previously considered delaying their wedding celebrations because of the political climate and the ongoing conflict in the Middle East, Page Six reported citing reporters.“They’re very aware that a lavish wedding at the White House while people are dying wouldn’t be well-received,” an insider told the outlet, adding, “Especially after the state dinner for King Charles, it would be too much pomp and circumstance.”The report added that Donald Trump Jr. remained supportive of continuing with pre-wedding celebrations. “Don was fully supportive of the bridal shower and the bachelorette party, he wants everyone to know he adores her and that they plan to get married. But they want to make sure the timing is right politically before actually setting a date,” the insider said.Earlier in April, Anderson hosted an “enchanted garden”-themed bridal shower at Mar-a-Lago attended by several Trump family members, including Ivanka Trump, Tiffany Trump, Lara Trump and Arabella Kushner.Donald Trump Jr reportedly proposed to Anderson in December after nearly a year of dating. He was previously married to Vanessa Trump, with whom he shares five children. Vanessa Trump is currently reported to be dating golfer Tiger Woods.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *